Health in southern kentucky
INCREASE ACCESS TO quality, affordable health and crisis intervention services.
ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE: Individuals have access to affordable, preventative, physical, mental, dental and other needed care critical to good health.
1. Increase the number of eligible individuals that are enrolled in viable health care coverage options.
2. Increase the number of qualified professionals and patient access for medical care needs including underserved needs like mental health, prenatal care, dental care and substance abuse treatment.
3. Provide education programs designed to improve long-term health including navigating the health care system, substance abuse prevention, mental health, wellness, smoking cessation and obesity reduction/ prevention.
SAFE HOME & COMMUNITY: People are safe from violence, crime, emotional and physical abuse.
1. Reduce the impact of violence on individuals and families through safe and accessible emergency shelter and crisis services.
2. Provide education programs to reduce the incidence and impact of family and individual violence including violence prevention, parenting education, and public awareness.
Two themes emerged from listening to residents in Southern Kentucky including the importance of affordable and accessible healthcare along with the desire to live in a safe environment:
- The BRADD region represents only 6.6% of all residents in Kentucky, yet accounted for 9.5% of all Kentucky drug related arrests in 2013. - Kentucky Annual Report, Kentucky State Police
- In Metcalfe County, there is one primary care physician for every 10,073 persons; in Butler County, there is one dentist for the entire population; in Allen County, there is one mental health provider available for every 6,737 persons. - 2014 County Health Rankings and Roadmap