Early Childhood Education
A child’s most critical period of intellectual development lasts from birth to the age of five. Quality early child care can have a significant impact on children’s lives, preparing them to learn, grow and succeed. But don't take it from us... check out the experts in the video below about the importance of reading and access to books at a young age...
Dolly Parton's Imagination Library
The Dolly Parton's Imagination Library began in 1996 when Dolly Parton decided to foster a love of reading in her hometown in Tennessee by ensuring that all children would have books, regardless of their family's income.
The program has been so successful that it has expanded internationally and is now available in Southern Kentucky thanks to United Way of Southern Kentucky, generous community sponsors and Dolly Parton.
How It Works:
- United Way of Southern Kentucky provides the Dolly Parton's Imagination Library in Allen, Barren, Butler, Edmonson, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren counties.
- Parents who live in these counties can enroll any child under the age of 5 in the program at no cost to the family!
- Once enrolled, the Dolly Parton's Imagination Library will mail one age appropriate book every month, from birth to 5 years old, at no cost to the family to every enrolled child's home!
How Do I Enroll My Child?
- Be a resident of Allen, Barren, Butler, Edmonson, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, or Warren counties.
- Submit an official enrollment form, completely filled out by parent or guardian (form must be approved and on file with United Way of Southern Kentucky).
- Click here to download the PDF Enrollment Form. Completed enrollment forms can be faxed to 270-843-3236; or mailed to United Way of Southern Kentucky, 1110 College Street, Bowling Green, KY 42101.
- Notify United Way of Southern Kentucky (270-843-3205) any time your address changes. Books are mailed to the address listed on the official registration form. If the child's address changes, you must contact United Way of Southern Kentucky to continue receiving books.
support united way's dolly parton's imagination library:
If you know of a business, organization, or individual who would like to financially support this gift to your children, or sponsor a child, please tell them about this website or complete the Sponsorship Form which can be downloaded here and return to:
United Way of Southern Kentucky
1110 College Street
Bowling Green, KY 42101
Text the keyword READY to 41444 to make a donation to United Way's Dolly Parton's Imagination Library! For only $35, you can sponsor one child under the age of five into the program to receive one book in the mail each month until their fifth Birthday FREE of charge to the family!
SIGN UP FOR KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS TODAY!
Kroger is committed to helping our communities grow and prosper. Year after year, local nonprofit organizations will earn millions of dollars through Kroger Community Rewards.
Kroger Community Rewards makes fund-raising easy... all you have to do is shop at Kroger and swipe your Kroger Plus Card!
Step 1: Go to the Registration site: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
Step 2: Create an account or sign in
Step 3: Once signed in, scroll to the bottom and click enroll!
Step 4: Complete all information on the first screen
Step 5: Search for Dolly Parton and UWSK- Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library should pop up!
Step 6: Click the button to link your Kroger Plus card to UWSK - Dolly Parton Imagination Library
Enjoy shopping that also supports a great cause!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are the responsibilities of the parent/ guardian?
In addition to residing in a participating area, the responsibilities include submitting an official registration form and notifying United Way of Southern Kentucky anytime there is a change of address. Change of address notification is important because the books are mailed to the address listed on the registration form and cannot be forwarded.
- Once you start receiving your books, all you have to do is read with your child! You can create reading rituals, provide sound effects, talk about the book, and HAVE FUN!
When will the child receive his/ her books?
Books will begin arriving at the child's home about eight to ten weeks after the registration form has been received by United Way of Southern Kentucky. The books will continue to be sent until the child turns five or moves out of the eligible geographical area. If a child does not receive the first book or misses a book one month, parents should contact United Way of Southern Kentucky.
I have two children signed up, and some of the books repeat. Do you keep track of books sent to each household?
Children who are different ages are on different book lists set up by the Dollywood Foundation. United Way of Southern Kentucky does not control which titles are sent out. If you receive duplicate books for different children, feel free to donate them back to United Way of Southern Kentucky or give them to a friend who doesn't live where the Dolly Parton Imagination Library is offered.